Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The delivery

Saturday morning I woke up around 5 am to some horrible cramping. I decided to take a warm bath and some medication the Dr gave me to see if that would help take it away. I got out of the bath and woke Clint up and he tried rubbing my back. (In between falling back to sleep, I swear that guy can sleep anywhere and through anything!!) After about an hour I couldnt take it anymore and we called L&D. We got to the hospital around 7:30 my parents met us and took Sam. We got up to our room and the nurse had thought maybe I was having a bladder infection since the pain was so low and my stomach never got hard. I felt at most they would say "go home on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy" yeah, not so lucky.
I was having contractions that were about 2 min apart. The nurse checked my cervix and I was at a 5. half hour later the Dr came in and rechecked me and I was a 7, with a bulging water bag. She said we are going to have to do a c-section today before your water breaks. Clint and I were in shock, if shock is an acurate description. We asked about the babies and she said. It is a 50/50 chance of them making it. The tears came automatically. How could this be happening to us. Clint and a Dr that was assisting with my section were able to give me a blessing too. I truely feel that this blessing helped keep me be so calm and strong. It was as though I was wrapped in a blanket of peace. The nurses informed us about where and what would be happening to the babies and that 2 teams were ready and waiting for both of them. Clint had left to call our parents and they wheeled me in to the OR.
I was also scared of receiving a spinal block. (The c-section with Sam was horrible and I felt it so they put me out.) I asked if they could just put me out, I was to scared. The anesthesiologist said he would rather not because the spinal would be safer for the babies. I agreed and he went forward with the spinal. Which was painless!! I barely felt the needle and felt my legs go numb instantly. The section was underway and Clint made it in right before they took Kameron out.
We heard Kameron's little cry and a minute later, we heard Kassidy. They wisked them off to NICU to stablize them. After they were stablized, we were able to go in and see them.
They were the smallest most precious little angels I have ever seen. They were fighting hard and given how early they were, they were good sized and responding well. The hospital we were at could not take babies less than 25 weeks, so they were transported to another hospital. The life flight team were amazing as well and wheeled them into our room before they left. I got to touch both of their little hands then they were off. Kameron left by helicopter and Kassidy by ambulance.
After they were gone, I sat in my room completely in awe of what just happened. I couldnt believe it. It wasnt real.

4 comments:

Bree said...

Dani & Clint, if you are at Primary's, I live in SLC. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. You guys are in my prayers.

Robin said...

That story is incredible! We love you guys, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. We'd love to have Sam over to play! Good luck, we're praying for you!

Jill said...

Oh, Danielle. Your family are in our prayers. What do you need? How can I help? It's not a burden or inconvenience for me to help, it's a blessing. I'm so close, I'm ready to do whatever, whenever.

The Bruces said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about this and the loss you have had I understand how hard it is to have premies and have your little girl in the hospital mine were in there for weeks probably not as long as your daughter will be but none the less it is hard and I know how stressed you must be if there is anything I can do for you at all let me know! Really I can make dinner or whatever... I am putting yours, Clints and your daughters name in the temples and praying.....
Hang in there!