Kassidy turned 27 weeks today! and is 3 weeks old tomorrow! WOW!! I cant believe how fast it has gone when everyday feels like slow motion. 27-28 weeks is said to be a turning point with micro-preemies. I am sure looking forward to it!
Yesterday, we had a bit of a panic. I called after her Dr rounds to check on her and her nurse completely FREAKED me out!! She has never had that nurse before and the way she talked to me about her put me in a panic. You know how you just dont mesh with some people's personalities? Thats how it was. Not that she really did anything to me, I just didnt like her. I think Kassidy felt the same way. Kassidy had been having a bad day, they had to switch her to her old ventilator, the one that shakes her. Her oxygen sats kept dropping to the 40's and she was on 100% oxygen and still had to have the bag! HELLO!! See FREAKED me out! Next she said her hematacrit was low and she needed a blood transfusion so she was getting that. She said "looks like it was overlooked yesterday" What!? You over looked something that huge on my baby?! I was LIVID! She just kept telling me all these horrible things and nothing to calm me back down, like the other nurses do. Then she says "You guys going to be able to come tonight right?" Like you better be here, things are looking grim is the way she made it sound.
I seriously was going to vomit! To make matters worse, I could not get a hold of Clint. He was working in the temple and had his phone on silent. I was panic stricken for 2 hours until he came home. We ran and got Sam from school and ran straight to the hospital. We didnt want Sam to go in, so we went in one at a time.
Clint went in first and got the info for himself. I went in next and talked to the charge nurse. She explained things better and I asked her about her missed transfusion. She said they waited to see if her own red blood cells would rejuvinate and that they like to hold off on transfusions when they can. Her x-ray looked better, not as much gunk, but still not great. She said for now we just have to accept the higher oxygen levels until she can get rid of her infection. Which all made sense. She then said, she is such a fighter. It is great that she is so active too! She is stable when we can just let her be.
Made me feel better.....
Today we got up early to run errands, ya know insurance stuff. BLAH!! We peeked in on Kassidy too and she was all bundled up snug as a bug! She had the same nurse from yesterday, not too crazy about that. We cant wait for her primary nurse to come back from vacation!
She was doing better today, still up a little on her oxygen, but happy. My sister got to see her with her eyes open today. Melts your heart when she looks at you! We are gonna be in trouble when she gets older.....She also is up to 11 ml on her feedings. At least she is taking her milk good. My kids sure have no problem when it comes to eating!! :) She should be just about 2 lbs now. Way to go Peanut!
Other than that, it has been a fun day. My sister and I made Clint take us to eat at Red Lobster for lunch. Woo Hoo! Then we went shopping, got ice cream and the best part......Sam went home with her!
1 comment:
If you explain to the charge nurse what happened, you can request that that nurse not be over Kassidy anymore. That she does nothing to help you feel calm about the situation and obviously Kassidy is not a fan either. :/ Glad the charge nurse was so awesome and explained things better. I'm telling you, sometimes nurses need communication classes just as much as any other job ;)
Post a Comment