Well 63 days down! Can you even believe it? This has been a pretty great week for miss K. Monday I got to hold her because they changed out her islet again. I love those days. She did well, she lasted about 30 min this time! A little more each time is such progress for her! Her nurses happened to all be there Monday night, so of course I made them get together for a picture. Such wonderful gals! Love them all!!
R to L Nurse "J" "M" "B" "L"
Nurse "L" in an action shot. Clint kept teasin her about getting one and there ya go! She is so funny. Always a good time with her.
Nurse "M" gave Kassidy a birthday present before she left for vacation this week. Isnt she sweet? The little onsie says "I'm mommy's most treasured gift" (ain't that the truth!) She also made her a new sign for her room and footprints. It is so great to see how much her feet have grown. I love all these little things she does for us. I hope to stay in touch with them. They seriously have become family.
Holding hands....
Nurse "L" added the little bow, it makes this contraption so much cuter right?
Sweet kisses....
Lookin at my little piece of heaven...
So now for the run down on her status. She had her 2nd eye exam which showed immature vessels (same as last week) and no ROP. Which is fantastic. She had some blood work done to check her bone density too. She had Osteopenia previously, which is just a decrease in calcium and vit D and makes bones soft. Her blood work came back perfect, her supplements are working great!
She has been weened down on the cpap pressure from 8 to 6 and has been at about 30-35 on her oxygen. Slow and steady, just what they like to see. She really is calm and content. Such a different baby since getting that dumb tube out! She still has not had any steroids which is wonderful! Nurse "L" likes to say she is kickin all the boys butts around her. :)
As of last night she weighs a little over 3 lb 11 oz. So close to being in an open crib and being able to take a bath. CAN NOT WAIT!! cant emphasize that enough.
We also had a little bit of a scare. I went down Wednesday by myself because Clint had to pick Sam up early from school. Little stink has been super naughty at school, pretty much my 3 yr old got expelled! Funny, but not really! So Clint stayed how with him.
I got there and she had a nurse she has never had before. They keep little notes of like what our names are, that she was a twin, that we have a 3 yr old. That kind of stuff. Well, I was being a little nosey and looked at it and it said hydrocephalus grade III. Kinda made me sick to my stomach. I figured she just wrote it down wrong and I passed it off. I then went to dinner with one of the other moms and we went to our parent to parent meeting. We did survivor beads that night. We get little beads for each milestone our babies pass and that we as parents pass. The necklace ends up being pretty big when we are done. It was a lot of fun and so great to talk with other families going through this like always.
I went back in to see Kassidy and say good night and her night nurse, (which was Kameron's nurse his first night) said I could hold her. I was super excited! She did well and lasted about 45 minutes, she could have gone longer but I thought she felt a little cold.
Anyways, we were talking about her head ultrasound which was scheduled for Thurs morning. She said, somethin about her having a grade III. I immediately corrected her that it was grade II and she said no, I am sure it is III. I freaked!! I said they only told me it was grade II and I am very very inquisitive about her head. I am a bit obsessed with her head. So she looked up her results and saw that it was grade III on the last one, but it also said her bleed did not change from before when it was a II. The NNP notes also stated it was only a grade II. So she said perhaps it was a documentation error. REALLY? I was sick to my stomach and of course slept horrible that night anticipating her ultrasound in the morning.
Thursday morning she had her test and the results are that her bleeds are still a grade II, having hydrocephalus makes the CONDITION a grade III. Her ventricles are smaller which means that it is starting to decrease. Just like everything else, slow and steady. I have been so extremely worried over her head, mostly I think because it can not be fixed and that it can cause such developmental problems. You always want the best for your children and really I am scared for her to have challenges. After this last ultrasound though, I have been given a sense of relief. I finally feel at ease with this. I can let it go. No matter the outcome it does not change that she is my beautiful miracle. I can handle anything as long as I have her home and I can kiss her whenever I want.
We visited her today in hopes of doing skin to skin time and unfortunately we were unable to. She had been up on her oxygen and the nurse felt she was not stable enough. So I read Cinderella and Mulan to her instead. Kass loves story time. She was put on her belly and her respiratory therapist, "F", who is such a funny man. Even Sam loves him. found that her pressure on the cpap creeped back up on her causing her oxygen to go up. So really it wasn't her fault for the instability. So maybe Sunday we can do our kangaroo care, fingers crossed.......
1 comment:
I love your hands picture. :)
That contraption just looks terribly uncomfortable. She's so cute without it! I'm glad to hear about the constant slow, steady improvements.
Post a Comment