Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Carlos-Our Christmas Miracle

On Sunday Dec 12th. My sister Debbie called me telling me about my cousin Darci and her little boy Carlos.
She randomly had received an angry text from my cousin, Delitra and didnt know what was going on or if the text was even meant to go to her. So she had called yet another cousin, Dawn to see what was going on.. (you follow yet, I know its alot of D's)
Carlos has been living with his uncle, Domonic for a couple weeks because his mom had given in to her addictions...
His uncle could no longer care for him, nor could any of my other family up there. He was a signature away from becoming awarded to the state and sent to foster care 2 weeks before Christmas.
My heart broke, and immediately I said I'll take him!
Clint was looking at me like I was crazy, so I said well, let me talk to Clint and I would call her back.
I spoke to Clint and explained everything I was told and he had the same immediate response.
I called my sister back and she called my cousin Dawn, who intern called my aunt DeeAnn (Carlos's grandma)
My aunt DeeAnn had just said a prayer asking the Lord what she should do about little Carlos, 20 min later she recieved the phone call from Dawn saying we wanted him....
Things happened quickly after that, since he was not in state custody nothing had to be done paperwork wise until he was in our physical custody and in Utah.
I called Carlos's mom Darci and told her I would come get him and give him the care he needed until she could get herself together and get clean.
(this is baby #4 for her, the other 3 have been adopted out)
Clint was suppose to be in Vegas for work that week, but didnt end up going because things were not ready. The day before we left, I woke up feeling uneasy and so while I was at work, I asked my Dr. to give me a blessing of comfort. He gave me an AMAZING blessing, I knew we were doing the right thing.
So we were able to leave Friday the 17th at 3 am (thanks mom for coming and being with the kiddos) and meet my aunt and cousin Dawn half way in Butte, MT.
We met up for a quick breakfast and then said our good-byes. We drove up and back in record time, the roads were perfect and the weather was cold, but clear. The strom came the next day. It was perfect timing, it was meant to be.

Prayers are answered and miracles happen, I am blessed to get to be apart of 2 true miracles this year....

Clint getting Carlos out of the car..
He immediately took to Clint. He has a strong attachment to men. Clint is amazing when it comes children anyways, all kids adore him.
It was early, we were all tired, nervous and scared of what was to come. We drove straight home and took a quick shower then went to pick Kassidy up at my parents house then up to the Layton's to get Sam and then headed out to do the hayride through the Layton lights with Clints family. We thought Carlos would love that and being around all the kids. It was a LONG day for everyone, but very rewarding to see the smiles on Carlos' face.
These are the only pictures I got that night of the hayride. Kassidy and I actually stayed in the burger stop because I thought it was too cold for her. Maybe next year.
Bundled up, because it was soooo cold...

Sam wanted nothing to do with this Santa and Carlos hated him too. I guess he was too realistic?

When we first got home Carlos ran all through the house, so so excited! It was the cutest thing ever.
We were really nervous to see how Sam would react. Because really Sam is not all that great at sharing...He totally surprised us though. He took to Carlos immediately, that night he wanted to all he could to help him and sit by him. "that kid" is his best friend! Now he wants bunk beds....
Kids are so easy to please....

Our plans for the future are unclear. We are taking things day by day. As of now, we just want legal custody. I have a feeling that I need to be my cousins cheerleader. I know she does not have a very good track record and maybe she has burned every bridge with family in Washington, but I have faith. I pray she can clean up and be able to be the mom she always wanted to be. To me that is what family is for, to help when you need it most. Until then, we will give Carlos a loving home and family. 


"He never said it would be easy, he only said it would be worth it!"

9 comments:

Sharee said...

You guys are amazing! I have been thinking A LOT about trying to adopt through foster care. This is the 2nd story that I have heard just this week about a mom giving up custody to get clean. It breaks my heart to hear these stories, how hard that must be for those kids. I am unsure of the road that we will take, for now I am just focusing on selling our home and buying a new one. Life is full of unexpected things, you and Clint are wonderful to roll with those unexpected things. If you need anything, please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Dan...you (and Clint) are amazing parents and people. Carlos is lucky to be in your family, OUR Family! I love you!!!

Kellie said...

Wow! What an amazing thing you are doing for little Carlos! Your life will be blessed because of the sacrifices you are making. You have an incredible family and Clint must be a super amazing guy as well! Good luck with the new adjustment and I'm glad it's going so well! :)

The Bruces said...

He is super cute.... and such a lucky little guy to be a part of your family, you and Clint are such great people and you both amaze me with your selfless acts...... And really if you need anything let me know! :)

dbs said...

I'm glad everything fell into place. So happy for you guys!

aLeXis said...

Amazing! You guys are just amazing! Carlos is so lucky to have you...and be part of your wonderful family. All my love!!! I promise I am calling you soon. Goodness...where does the time go? Busy...busy!

Erica said...

As I was reading this, I started to tear up. I guess it's because my sister adopted 2 boys herself that had been abused and for all practical purposes neglected. I'm glad to hear that all along Carlos as had a supportive family. I am more than happy that he has found a stable, and loving home like yours! Congrats!

Bree said...

what an amazing story!!! Congrats on the new addition! I hope and pray that the legal transition goes just as smoothly!

Jill said...

You are all in our prayers. What a sweet boy! You are so wonderful to give him this gift. I'm here anytime. We like you guys and wouldn't mind helping out anytime. Really. Anytime. Did I mention I'm ready anytime? Congratulations on your newest little miracle.